Breast Augmentation – Breast Implants – Baton Rouge, LA
Breast Augmentation Baton Rouge
Breast Augmentation plastic surgery involves using implants or fat grafting to restore fullness to the size and shape of the breasts. For women who are currently unsatisfied with their breast’s appearance, Dr. Taylor Theunissen MD Plastic Surgery in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is happy to help them achieve more shapely, equally sized, and symmetrical breasts.
If the breasts are severely drooping or sagging, this cosmetic procedure can be combined with a breast lift to dramatically improve the overall look and feel. It is considered as one of the best augmenting options for women who have gone through pregnancy, weight loss, or aging that has caused the skin to stretch, creating a deflated or drooping stature.
YOUR INITIAL CONSULTATION WITH DR. THEUNISSEN
Getting trustworthy information is crucial, especially when deciding to undergo plastic surgery. During your initial consultation with Dr. Theunissen, the reasons to which you are looking to have a breast augmentation will be discussed. While there isn’t necessarily a right or wrong reason for wanting a cosmetic breast procedure, it is still very important for you to know exactly what it entails and what to expect. Dr. Theunissen will provide you with all the information you need regarding your surgery or surgeries and offer you the best breast procedure options available so that you can make the most qualified decision. During the initial consultation, the information shared will be on:
- Your implant options with their pros and cons
- The location of the implant (under or above the pectoralis muscle, partially under the pectoralis muscle).
- The location of the incision (around the areola, under the breast, naval area, or in the armpit).
- Choosing a breast implant size. This is very important and, overall, will be decided by the patient and Dr. Theunissen after reviewing the detailed measurements of the patient’s chest and breast tissue.
- Any other questions and concerns you may have.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF BREAST IMPLANT OPTIONS:
- Saline Implants
- Silicone Implants
- Gummy Bear Implants
- Natural Body Tissue
IDEAL CANDIDATES FOR A BREAST AUGMENTATION:
• Want fuller, more shapely breasts
• Wish to increase the size, volume, and stature of breasts
BREAST AUGMENTATION WITH IMPLANTS OPTIONS
INCISION LOCATIONS FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION IMPLANTS
- INFRAMAMMARY INCISION – A 1″-2″ incision located on the underside of the breast, close to the crease of the rib cage. This helps keep the minimal scarring discretely hidden.
- PERIAREOLAR INCISION – A small incision around the skin-color line of the areola to keep scarring hidden. Often times this incision is accompanied by a breast lift which includes a vertical incision from the areola to the crease of the breast and rib cage. This is ideal for women who need a large amount of skin removed from the breast. The extent of the incision mainly depends on the amount of skin which is to be removed. The remaining skin will be stretched before closing the incision with sutures.
- TRANSAXILLARY INCISION – A 1″-2″ incision discretely hidden under the arm in the armpit.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF IMPLANTS AND THEIR USES
- SALINE BREAST IMPLANTS: Sterile salt water is used to fill saline breast implants. Unlike silicone, they’re inserted empty. Once in place, they’re filled with the sterile salt water solution. This in turn can help reduce incision scar size. Women 18 and older are eligible for saline implants. For breast cancer reconstruction patients, any age is accepted.
- GUMMY BEAR IMPLANTS: Gummy bear breast implants are pre-shaped silicone gel implants. Unlike the regular implant shell used for regular silicone and saline implants, Gummer Bear Implants are tapered at the top and project out towards the bottom of the breast, like a natural breast. Because they are pre-formed to hold their natural shape, they’re a harder implant than regular silicone and saline implants. For this same reason, the scar is often larger than silicone and saline implant incisions
- SILICONE IMPLANTS: Silicone gel fills silicone implants. Unlike saline implants, the silicone gel is pre-filled before placement. The silicone gels texture is made to mimic human fat. Women of 22 and older may be candidates for Silicone breast implants. Women undergoing breast cancer reconstruction may be eligible at all ages.
- SILICONE OR SALINE OR GUMMY BEAR? This is usually dependent on age, breast tissue, and cosmetic desires of the patient. For each procedure, the breast scar size, incision placement, shape and feel will vary. Depending these, all surgeons should supply the patients with premium information and the implant processes available to help them make the best informed decision.
BREAST AUG POST-SURGERY HEALING
A breast augmentation procedure usually lasts for up to two hours and is always carried out under general anesthesia. The recovery period varies from patient to patient and will mainly depend on the size and type of the implant, the incision that was chosen, and the the patient’s overall ability to heal. Minimal movement is advised for the first couple weeks. That being said, patients are asked to avoid any strenuous activity, such are lifting heavy objects and exercising. Most patients are able to resume their normal activities after a week or two after having the procedure. There will be minimal scarring which will keep fading with time.
PLANNING AND SCHEDULING YOUR BREAST AUGMENTATION IN BATON ROUGE
Breast Augmentation surgery carried out by a Plastic Surgeon in Baton Rouge can cost anywhere between $6,000 to $10,000 depending on preference, as well as the extensiveness of the procedure. Insurance does not typically cover breast augmentation because it’s considered a cosmetic procedure. Dr. Theunissen performs Breast Augmentations for his patients in his state-of-the-art, In-Office O.R., with the support of experienced and licensed staff, which also includes a full-time Anesthesiologist to ensure optimal care for each patient.
• Average Cost: $6,000 – $9,000
• Recovery Time: 1-4 Weeks
• Average Procedure Time: 2-3 Hours
• Procedure Recovery Location: Out-Patient
• Where: In-Office Operating Room
• Insurance: Does not cover Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
SHOULD I GET A BREAST LIFT OR IMPLANTS?
An Augmentation is used for enlarging the size of the breasts, while a breast lift is a procedure which is used to actually lift the breast by tightening the skin of drooping breasts to give them a firmer, more symmetrical look. While both are separate procedures, you may need both done at the same time in order to achieve the results you desire. This will be discussed in your consultation at Taylor Theunissen, MD Plastic Surgery Baton Rouge. If you are visiting from out of town, feel free to check out our visitor page.
HOW LONG UNTIL I NEED TO REPLACE MY IMPLANTS?
The implants can last for up to 15 years. There is no need to replace them as long as there are no signs of breast deformity, rippling, or leaking. What is necessary is the periodic checkup with your surgeon after the procedure to make sure that the implants are still intact and not damaged in any way. Dr. Theunissen and his qualified staff are committed to ensuring his patients achieve optimal plastic surgery results from any cosmetic surgeries by offering the highest level of professional care throughout the entire process, from the initial consultation to the procedure and post-surgery support.
CAN SILICONE IMPLANTS RUPTURE OR LEAK?
While there are some negative notions of using silicone implants, such as leakages and other complications, with today’s technological advancements, these concerns have become a thing of the past. Nowadays, the silicone-based shells are made out of durable material and is considered to be much safer than their more primitive models. Furthermore, the use of silicone implants have been approved by the FDA, which makes them the more preferred option for those looking for a breast augmentation with more natural results. It is also important to note that the rate of complications have reduced significantly over the past decade.
NATURAL BREAST TISSUE / FAT TRANSFER OR IMPLANTS?
The majority of women who undergo an augmentation choose to have implants over natural issue. Whether to go natural or artificial will mainly depend on the breast’s tissue and of the patients cosmetic desires. Saline or silicone are used as implant options in most cases, and each offer their own benefits. Normally, patients who have low breast tissue usually opt for silicone implants, saline, or gummy bear implants. Those who opt for fat transfer have the advantage of having to deal with lesser risk since there are no foreign materials involved in the procedure. However, with that being said, the results of a fat transfer may not be as satisfactory as compared to implants because of the nature of the body’s natural tissue versus artificial implants.