Ear Augmentation Surgery – Otoplasty – Baton Rouge, LA
EAR SURGERY – EAR AUGMENTATION – OTOPLASTY OVERVIEW
Not many people give a second thought to their ears, but there are people who have poorly shaped or unusual sized ears, due to which they attract unwanted attention and rude remarks from people around them. Deformed or protruding ears can easily become a source of embarrassment and humiliation for a person, which can have an impact on their self-confidence and esteem, especially in children, teenagers, and young adults. Such individuals are subjected to bullying and teasing and shy away from certain looks and styles that make their ears more prominent than they already are. For such individuals, there is ear augmentation surgery.
If you have become self-conscious because your ears aren’t shaped or positioned right, then otoplasty is the way out of your situation. It is a very straightforward surgical procedure through which you can achieve the desired shape and size of your ears. It only takes about an hour or two to complete, and is performed under local or general anesthetic.
Otoplasty, also known as ear correction plastic surgery and ear augmentation, is a surgical procedure that enhances the visual appearance of the ear by adjusting its position, proportion, or shape. Most commonly, this procedure is performed to correct protruding, prominent ears, but its application is not limited to this condition only. Whether the defect in the ear structure is due to an accident or injury, or has been present since birth, otoplasty can treat and fix any kind of irregularity.
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Theunissen, is not only a cosmetic surgeon, but also a reconstructive surgeon, who can give your ears a more natural shape, while keeping the right proportion balance between the face and ears. With Dr. Theunissen, you can change the shape, correct minor deformities, and resize your ears, and regain your self-esteem and be confident about your looks.
IDEAL CANDIDATES FOR OTOPLASTY WITH DR. THEUNISSEN HAVE:
- Stretched or split ear lobes due to long-term use of large gauge earring
- Macrotia, a rare condition in which the individual has overly large ears
- Malformation due to a previous ear surgery went wrong
- Protruding ears with similar or varying degrees
THE BENEFITS OF EAR SURGERY:
- Permanent and effective improvement in the appearance of the ears
- Low complication rate with highly effective and long lasting results
- Boost self-esteem and confidence and provides cosmetic benefits
- Improved hearing in some cases
Reduce size or Reshape ears for better Facial Balance
Can be performed in conjunction with other Procedures
Comfortable, Friendly Staff, Performed In-Office
DR. THEUNISSEN’S APPROACH
The surgical technique used for restructuring and improving the appearance of the ears depends on their current condition. If the patient has protruding ears, they are mostly reformed and in some cases, they are supported by splints. The surgeon may also resort to trimming the soft tissues away, for which incisions will be made at the backside of the ears. The ears’ skin will be tightened and sutured for repositioning.
If the patient’s ears are small and hidden, it is most likely due to underdeveloped cartilages. In such a case, the surgeon will reshape the cartilages by repositioning or pulling them and placing splints as support. Moreover, tissue grafting is also performed to provide volume. Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Theunissen, may perform ear pinning and ear reduction in different forms, such as:
- Ear Pinning: Since adults have hard cartilage and it is difficult to mold them into the desired shape, cartilage is repositioned or removed so that the ear can be pinned back. For this purpose, an incision is made along the antihelical fold. After repositioning, the ear is held back in its place with the help of sutures so that it stays close to the side of the head. In case of small children, the procedure is relatively easy, because unlike adults, their ears have soft cartilages and can be pinned with help of splints. This technique proves to be very effective for molding and contouring in the desired shape.
- Size Reduction: Just like ear pinning in adults, an incision is made along the antihelical fold to reduce the ear’s size. The skin sutured after cartilage is removed. The ear appears smaller because this technique reduces the chonchal cartilage’s surface area.
DURING / AFTER SURGERY
Ear Surgery takes about an hour or two to complete. If the ear is sutured due to incision, the area is bandaged, because in most cases, the ear becomes swollen and sore. You will be discharged and sent home for recovery. The bandage will stay on for a week till the new shape and position is permanently in place. The bandage also prevents children from touching and playing with their ears, allowing unhindered recovery. Moreover, you will be advised to avoid driving because the bandage will muffle your hearing. Whether the incision was made in front or backside of the ears, you can rest assured that scars will remain hidden. You will be able to resume with your daily life activities like playing sports or swimming within a six-week period.
OTOPLASTY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The ears are among those parts of the body that fully develop at a young age. Therefore, if the procedure is performed at an appropriate age, the result will be long lasting. There won’t be a need for second otoplasty even if the body undergoes drastic facial changes as the patient grows up.
Children of ages 5-6 years can undergo otoplasty, as their ears have developed till this time. This age is ideal because tissues and cartilage are soft, which makes repositioning and reshaping relatively easy. Moreover, children recover faster which can prevent them from being teased or bullied at school.
IS IT ALWAYS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE ON BOTH EARS?
In majority cases, both ears are affected by a similar condition. Therefore, the surgical procedure is usually performed on both ears to ensure symmetrical structure. However, if the patient wants one ear to look like the other, then the surgery will be performed on a single ear only.
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Theunissen, and his qualified staff are committed to providing the best results from their cosmetic surgery and offer top-notch professional care throughout the process. You will be satisfied with our practices, from the initial consultation to the procedure and after surgery support and care.